About Dunollie

Dunollie Museum, Castle & Grounds is run by the MacDougall of Dunollie Preservation Trust (Charity No. SC028091).

Vat No. 932 1135 61

Address

Dunollie Museum, Castle & Grounds

Oban

PA34 5TT

01631 570550

 

info@dunollie.org

Subscribe to our monthly newsletter
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon

© 2019 by The MacDougall of Dunollie Preservation Trust. Proudly created with Wix.com

Weaving Shed

The Origins of The Loom

The Dunollie loom began its life as a pattern design loom at Meadow Mill in Alva around 1853 as part of James Porteous & Co. Ltd.

The loom arrived in Balvicar, Seil from Alva in 1940 for Miss Jean MacKenzie, a 73 year old woman who had learnt to weave during World War II.

By 1954, Miss MacKenzie sold the loom to Miss Hope MacDougall for £10.

Hope set up the loom in the downstairs of the 1745 House upon her return to Dunollie the same year.

Hope's desire was to weave tartan on the loom, and therefore added an extra two foot pedals as well as two pairs of Heddle Horses to the structure.

In 1956, she wove 17 and 1/2  yards of MacDougall Tartan, based on a diagram of an old specimen at Dunollie.

The Weaving Shed

Restoration of the Loom
Firth Of Lorn Pattern