About Dunollie

Dunollie Museum, Castle & Grounds is run by the MacDougall of Dunollie Preservation Trust (Charity No. SC028091).

Vat No. 932 1135 61

Address

Dunollie Museum, Castle & Grounds

Oban

PA34 5TT

01631 570550

 

info@dunollie.org

Subscribe to our monthly newsletter
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon

© 2019 by The MacDougall of Dunollie Preservation Trust. Proudly created with Wix.com

History of the Clan Chiefs

People have lived at Dunollie for more than 2000 years.

For 900 years the castle and house have been occupied by the Chiefs of the Clan MacDougall, but before that Dunollie was the home of the Kings of Dal Riada and the Iron Ages settlers.

The chiefs of the Clan MacDougall have only lived quietly at Dunollie for the last century; before that they went out and engaged fully with the fashions and politics of the day, and travelled to all corners of the world.

Great stories - great chiefs, but also a close-knit family come through from the thousands of letters which survive in the Dunollie archive.